Elgin Artspace Lofts
The property, located in the business district of downtown Elgin, Illinois, was originally a department store built in 1908. After a 1950s addition by Sears, the site was eventually developed into a downtown campus for Elgin Community College in the 1980s. Our project involved demolishing the 1950s era addition, rehabilitating the existing 1908 structure into 55 artists’ lofts, and constructing a new addition connected by a link to the original building. The new common areas feature a business center, gallery, community room, and retail space. The reintegrated skylight provides daylight to both levels of the historic building. Preserved original features like tin ceilings and moldings maintain the historic character of the building.